Thursday, August 12, 2010

A funny thing happens when you open up a wall to fix one thing... (the kludgy stuff, Part II)

...but we're NOT laughing. We discovered today that we are WAY over budget. A fellow blogger/rehabber called it "project creep". Well, this sure did creep up on us.

But I'll save you the diatribe (for now) and let the pictures do the talking. Let your imagination fly...it can't be TOO far off from reality.


Sewer line replacement (3 sections - one under the driveway)


All window trim needed to be removed to insulate and properly re-install


New windows were installed INSIDE old window casements. Original window counterweights were still in the walls


Apparently there was a fire in this house at some point


Holes to blow-in insulation This stuff is INCREDIBLY messy


Hole for a junction box...punched into the air return

Each and every guy who has been working here has a story about some kludge they found inside a wall. And even now, as the walls are slowly being patched-up...we are still finding more. Not a single room in this house has been spared some level of demolition.

This is shaping-up to be QUITE the learning experience, to say the least.

3 comments:

  1. It will make you a stronger person . . . .or kill you! (kidding!) As I said- I feel your pain. The best old houses are the ones that have had few owners and little rehabbing.

    I've had 100 year old homes where I am only the 3rd owner- and those projects went smoothly and were fun to work on as I discovered lost letters, kids toys and in one case ,a trunk in the attic plastered behind a wall that looked like someone's hope chest.

    And then I've had those houses where too many people touched it. My current "old house" is only 90 years old, and I think I am owner number 15. And this baby was pieced together with duct tape and twine. I spent a fortune tearing all the bad stuff out and redoing it the right way. But the good news is that I survived it . . even living in one room in my house for almost two years while the work went on around me.

    And the last people who lived here? Sounds like they took lessons from whoever messed up your old house. There is a word for it amongst old house people . . .it's called "remuddeling", not remodeling.

    My motto is to "leave it better than I found it" and it sounds like you share the same sentiment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Remuddeling" HA! I'll definitely be cribbing that from you, C.

    Yes, we are def. of the "leave it better than I found it"camp.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would you recommend your contractor? We have some repairs that need to be done on the house we're closing on in OP in a couple weeks and I'm trying to get a good contractor recommendation (the first item is opening up a wall to repair a leaking pipe). You can e-mail me at don.hosek at gmail etc

    ReplyDelete